When it comes to satisfying your cravings for a tangy, creamy, and utterly delicious Indian snack, nothing beats the classic Dahi Vada. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is easy to follow and will leave your taste buds dancing. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the entire process of making mouthwatering Dahi Vada Recipe at home.
Ingredients needed to make dahi vada recipe:
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s gather all the essential ingredients you’ll need:
1: 1 cup urad dal (black gram lentils)
2: 1/4 cup moong dal (split green gram lentils)
3: 2 cups thick yogurt (curd)
4: 1 tsp cumin seeds
5: 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
6: 1 tsp salt, or to taste
7: 1 tsp black salt
8: 1/2 tsp red chili powder
9: 1/2 tsp chaat masala
10: 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
11: Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
12: Cooking oil for deep frying
Now, let’s get into the step-by-step instructions for making perfect Dahi Vada:
Step 1: Preparing the Lentil Batter
- Wash and soak urad dal and moong dal separately for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water and grind it into a smooth batter with a little water.
- The batter should be fluffy and light. Add salt and beat it for a few minutes until it becomes airy.
Step 2: Frying the Vadas
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Wet your hands and take a small amount of batter, flatten it slightly, and carefully slide it into the hot oil.
- Fry until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the vadas and drain the excess oil on a paper towel.
Step 3: Soaking the Vadas
- Take a large bowl of warm water and add a pinch of asafoetida and some salt.
- Immerse the fried vadas in the water and let them soak for about 15–20 minutes.
Step 4: Preparing the Yogurt
- Whisk the yogurt until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add black salt, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, and chaat masala. Mix well.
Step 5: Assembling the Dahi Vadas
- Squeeze out the excess water from the soaked vadas and arrange them in a serving dish.
- Pour the prepared yogurt mixture generously over the vadas.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
1: For soft and fluffy vadas, soak urad dal for at least 4-6 hours before grinding. This helps in achieving the perfect texture.
2: Fry the vadas at medium heat to ensure they cook evenly. The vadas should turn a beautiful golden brown for that crispy exterior.
3: Add a pinch of roasted cumin powder and red chili powder to the yogurt mixture for an extra burst of flavor.
You can adjust the spice levels and salt according to your taste.
For a healthier option, you can use low-fat yogurt.
To make it gluten-free, skip asafoetida or use a gluten-free version.
Can I make the vadas in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the vadas in advance and soak them in water. Add yogurt and garnishes just before serving to maintain their freshness.
Can I use store-bought yogurt?
Absolutely, you can use store-bought yogurt, but homemade yogurt often provides a richer flavor.
Can I skip deep-frying for a healthier version?
While deep frying gives the vadas their characteristic texture, you can try shallow frying or air frying for a healthier option.